Founded in 14th May 1917 by the great educationist and philanthropist, Rai Kedar Nath, Ramjas College is oldest college of Delhi after Hindu College and Stephen College. Initially it was affiliated with university of Punjab, Lahore up to intermediate level. Beginning from the humble precincts of Darya Ganj in Old Delhi. The College was named in memory of Lala Ramjas, father of Rai Kedar Nath, the founder of the college. In its starting days, the college was run by the Ramjas Foundation - an educational foundation that runs schools and educational institutions in Delhi. When University of Delhi was formed in 1922, it was ungraded to degree level and brought under the University. Ramjas College has since been a humble part of that University. After formation of DU, the college was brought under government control but Ramjas Foundation kept looking over the administrative works of the college. In 1924, Its other branch named Ramjas intermediate college was opened at Daryaganj and old college was moved to a new campus at Anand Parbat (which was then called Kala Pahad) near the serai Rohilla Station about two miles from heart of city. The college was then inaugurated at its new location by Mahatma Gandhi, who was also a good friend of Rai Kedar Nath. But during World War II, the college had to cede its campus at Anand Parbat to the British Wireless Experimental Centre. In the same period, at time of Quit India Movement, a group of Ramjas students went ahead and joined the freedom struggle which resulted in them being arrested and jailed. A plaque with their names inscribed on it has been put up near the college auditorium gate in memory of the brave students.